Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thing 3. Utilities


I definitely wanted to use a QR scanner to incorporate more information into displays and posters at my library. So that's the app I chose to focus on in this post (even though there were lots of other interesting utility apps I explored as well).

As a library in the MELSA consortium, we participate in the Winter Jackets adult reading program. When patrons fill out book reviews they are placed in a binder for all to see. I also created an online book list of each review turned in. I decided to create a QR code to post on my winter jacket display, so folks with mobile devices could access the reader reviews instantly.

Here's the display:


And here's the poster with the QR code:


As evidenced in this next screenshot, the RedLaser Barcode & QR Scanner app is quite sensitive:

Even from this extremely blurry image, it was able to read the QR code correctly and take me directly to the online reader review list:


I was quite pleased with the results.



3 comments:

  1. That is a great use of a QR code! Have you noticed many patrons using it?
    - David (23 Mobile Things Coach)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I haven't seen anyone use this one in particular, but I've been using QR codes on Storytime posters and for a blog I made for parents at one of my Storytimes, and I have seen people capture those!

      Delete