Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Thing 6. Creating & Editing Docs

I decided to try Quickoffice mostly because I already use Google Drive pretty extensively. The idea of integrating this into something I already do was pretty attractive.



I created a PowerPoint-like presentation.



Some parts were easy enough to navigate.



Very basic slides with just text are easy to do. I also like that you can add notes to each slide.



However, when the presentation is in "display" you can't see your notes. I didn't try saving as a PDF and printing, but I'm assuming the notes would show up under each slide if I tried that.



There were lots of frustrating aspects: I tried adding various shapes and flowcharts, to see what that would look like.



Often it wasn't obvious how to edit the flowchart (other than adding simple text or re-shaping), and if I didn't like what I had added I couldn't figure out how to delete it without just hitting "undo" several times.

I did like that I could add pictures from my iPhone pretty easily by clicking the thingy that looks like a butterfly...



...then choosing "Images"...



...then "Camera Roll"...


...then it was pretty easy  to drag the image where I wanted it. However, it was hard to change the text around and I didn't find a text-wrap option.



I personally would probably not use this app much to create documents, since I think it's way easier to do on a desktop or laptop. HOWEVER, I have access to multiple desktops and laptops in my home and at work. Many people don't have that option because a smart phone or tablet might be the only computer to which they have regular access. A recent Pew Research Report finds that
"34% of cell internet users go online mostly using their phones, and not using some other device such as a desktop or laptop computer."

That's a pretty large group of people who may find apps like Quickoffice invaluable to doing schoolwork or creating work projects!

Thus, I consider Quickoffice and other document creation and editing apps to be worthy.


1 comment:

  1. I find that PEW study really interesting and think that percentage will continue to rise when some of the cheaper smartphones start arriving. I think this is an area libraries should think about adding to computer skills programming.

    ReplyDelete